THE WYSONG e-HEALTH LETTER 938
~Thoughts for Thinking People~
Current Research and Thoughts You Can Use for Health and Healing
...And Which Verify The Wysong Optimal Health Program™
- AUTISM-VACCINE LINK: A recent study presents the first epidemiological evidence, based upon tens of millions of doses of vaccines administered in the United States, that associates increasing thimerosal (a mercury-based preservative) levels from vaccines with neurodevelopmental disorders. Specifically, the study showed statistical increases in the incidence rates of autism, mental retardation and speech disorders in those who had received thimerosal-containing vaccines compared to those given thimerosal-free vaccines.
- During the 1990s, the U.S. childhood vaccination schedule exposed some children to up to 125 times the federal limit on mercury exposure set by the Environmental Protection Agency. Autism rates have increased 10 times since the late 1980s, and the CDC says that one in 300 American children may suffer from the condition.
- CHILDREN AND TODDLERS NEWEST VICTIMS OF OBESITY EPIDEMIC: One out of five American children has a weight problem – and they're getting that way earlier than ever. 15% of children and adolescents, or about 9 million children, are overweight. And overall, 20% to 30% of children in this country are either overweight or at risk of becoming so. Obesity in children causes a multitude of health problems – high cholesterol and high blood pressure (risk factors for heart disease), impaired glucose tolerance (a precursor to Type 2 diabetes), fatty liver (which can lead to cirrhosis) – as well as the potential for psychological problems and almost certain social ostracism.
In a culture that values convenience over solid nutrition, parents are feeding their children more and more foods that are not real food, but laced with chemicals, preservatives and non-nutritional elements. And nearly 30% of American children are sedentary in their leisure time, preferring to spend their time watching TV, playing video games, or on the computer.
Pediatric endocrinologists and dieticians have so far been largely ineffective in treating childhood obesity. The solution to this skyrocketing health crisis lies with the children’s caretakers to restore the principles of natural activity and eating balances within the home. (Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, 2003, Seattle.
- CINNAMON AND BLOOD SUGAR: A new study has found that just half a teaspoon of cinnamon per day significantly reduces blood sugar levels in diabetics. The active ingredient in cinnamon mimics insulin, activates its receptor, and works synergistically with insulin in cells. All volunteers with Type 2 diabetes who were given cinnamon powder daily responded within weeks, with blood sugar levels that were on average 20% lower than the control group. Some even achieved normal blood sugar levels. Blood sugar started rising again after the diabetics stopped taking cinnamon. Cinnamon has additional benefits including lowering blood levels of fats and "bad" cholesterol and neutralizing free radicals. (Diabetes Care, 2003; 26:3215-8.)
- HEALTHY DIET FOR HEALTHY CHOLESTEROL LEVELS: A recent study shows that a diet that includes almonds and several other specific plant foods can lower cholesterol – specifically LDL, the "bad" cholesterol – as significantly as a leading cholesterol-lowering "statin" medication. A diet rich in raw almonds, soluble fiber, plant sterols, and soy, plant and vegetable proteins can reduce LDL cholesterol levels by up to 30% in just two weeks.
- MEDITERRANEAN DIET TO PREVENT LUNG CANCER: There has been growing interest over recent years in the potential preventive role of the Mediterranean diet in the development of cardiovascular disease and cancer. A new study has discovered that although other foods in a Mediterranean diet – carrots, tomatoes, and white meat – showed initial promise, olive oil and sage are the components of this diet associated with decreased lung cancer risk.
- MICROWAVE "ZAPS" NUTRIENTS: Broccoli “zapped” with water in the microwave lost up to 97% of some of the antioxidants it contained! Portuguese researchers examined the levels of three major antioxidant groups in broccoli after cooking. Microwaved broccoli lost 74%-97% of these compounds. Boiling results in a similar loss of antioxidants. By comparison, steamed broccoli lost 11% or fewer of its antioxidants. Many antioxidants and other bioactive compounds are water-soluble and during heating they leach into the cooking water. To
minimize nutrient loss when microwaving or boiling broccoli and other vegetables it is important not to overcook them and to use a minimal amount of water. (J Sci Food Agric, 2003; 83(14):1511-6.)
- OBESITY LEADS TO CANCER: According to a 16-year study involving close to 1 million people, excess weight contributes to 20% of all cancer deaths in women and 14% in men. Those who are overweight or obese have a higher risk of death from various cancers, including esophageal, colon and rectum, liver, gallbladder, pancreas, kidney, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and multiple myeloma, as compared to people of normal weight. If Americans maintained healthy weights, more than 90,000 cancer deaths could be avoided each year, according to researchers. Add this to the existing evidence that links excess body weight to heart disease, stroke and diabetes, and you have an impressive argument for getting and staying thin.
- OMEGA-3's TO PREVENT PREGNANCY DEPRESSION: New research has shown that omega-3 essential fatty acids found in certain kinds of fish may significantly reduce the risk of depression during pregnancy. Researchers have found that pregnant women who have a deficient intake of omega-3's have double the risk of depression than women with a normal to high intake. A developing fetus draws on the fatty acid stores of its mother for optimal neurological growth. Due to concern about mercury exposure from fish and its impact on the brain development of the fetus, many pregnant women are hesitant to eat a diet rich in fish.
- SUGAR INCREASES NEURAL TUBE DEFECT RISK: Recently researchers compared the diet of approximately 500 mothers of children with neural tube defects such as spina bifida, with mothers who had healthy babies. They found the risk of defects doubled in women who ate large amounts of foods that give a rapid sugar punch, and among obese women it quadrupled. Scientists believe that the sudden release of large amounts of glucose may interfere with the development of babies in the womb – in particular the formation of the tube of bone around the spinal column. (Am J Clin Nutr, 2003; 78(5):972-8.)
- SUN PROTECTS AGAINST CANCER: New research has once again shown the dangers of avoiding the sun. Scientists stated that staying out of the sun completely may increase your chances of developing cancer. This is because the sun is a major source of vitamin D. A lack of sun can reduce levels of vitamin D, which may increase the risk of cancer. Studies have suggested this vitamin can protect against colon, breast, prostate and other cancers. For years, experts have advised people to cover up in the sun to protect themselves from skin cancer. (Br Med J, 2003; 327:1228.)
Best of health to you and yours from all of us here at Wysong.